As the spread of AIDS increases, your chances of employing someone with AIDS or HIV increase. So, it's best to be prepared to handle the situation, should it ever arise. The following checklist may help you to effectively do so.
- Develop proper employment interviewing techniques to avoid discrimination.
- Handle medical information confidentially.
- Immediately deal with any rumors, slanderous jokes, or fears you hear from employees.
- Manage fair discipline procedures for everyone, including people with AIDS.
- Provide guidance on AIDS testing and workplace safety concerns.
- Deal with customer problems, i.e., if a customer discriminates or complains.