Hawaii businesses may incur the following filing fees and taxes on income and sales:
- startup costs, which include incorporation document filing fees for domestic and foreign corporations
- fees and taxes on income and sales from ongoing operations, such as an annual report filing fee, franchise tax, corporate income tax, and sales and use tax
In addition, the state imposes a personal income tax on business income that passes through to you from your business.
To gain a better idea about the types of fees and tax obligations you may be facing, we recommend that you review the following sections:
- Initial formation fees for new or existing businesses vary in Hawaii depending upon the type of business you run (hairstylist, lawyer, etc.) and the form you operate your business as are you a corporation, sole proprietorship, partnership, or limited liability company (LLC)? This segment will go through the various formation fees that Hawaii imposes.
- Taxes and fees on business income outlines the various taxes that the state imposes on your business income. This section will provide you with a working knowledge of these taxes.
- Sales and use taxes discusses the general requirements of the sales and use tax. This section also provides you with a discussion of the various sales and use tax issues specifically facing purchasers and sellers
We provide the names and telephone numbers of the oversight agencies in Hawaii that administer the various types of business fees and taxes. This section will give you the references to contact if you need additional information on any of the Hawaii business taxes